Sárvári Média Nonprofit Kft.
9600 Sárvár, Móricz Zs. u. 4.
On-line editors: firstname.lastname@example.org
2011 All rights reserved
Powered & designed
The town known today as Sárvár was formed from the administrative conglomeration of several settlements built up next to each other. In 1902 Vármellék and Tizenháromváros, in 1912 Péntekfalu and Sár, while in 1968 Rábasömjén were joint to Sárvár.
The area is rich in natural resources and has been populated since Neolithic times. Before the Roman conquest the Celtic tribe of Boys used to control the ancient ford of the river Rába. Their fortress was situated at Ostfyasszonyfa-Földvárpuszta. At around the 1st century BC Roman legions conquered the area surrounding the Amber road for the Empire, and Sárvár, too, fell under Roman administration. On the banks of the river Rába military camps were set up (eg. Óvár) and east of the river a civilian settlement named Bassiana was established.
Sárvár’s area remained inhabited after the Romans’ reign, as well. The local cemetery from the time of the Caroling dynasty (9th century) was unearthed at Végmalom. The settling Hungarians built an earth fort against the German attacks. Until the 1280’s the fort remained property of the King. During the times of feudal anarchy, up until 1327, it was owned by the Kőszegi family. The castle manor was established by the palatine János Kőszegi. In 1327 it was retaken for the King in a siege by Sándor Köcski. In 1328 King Róbert Károly gave privileges to the inhabitants of Sársziget, which lay in the centre of the town. Sárvár remained a royal castle until 1390, when King Zsigmond of Luxembourg bequeathed it and its manor to János Kanizsai. The Kanizsai family owned Sárvár with minor interruptions until 1535. In 1532, the inhabitants, led by Ferenc Nádasdy, fought back the Turkish siege. A hundred locals died defending the country town and the castle.
In 1535 Tamás Nádasdy and Orsolya Kanizsai were married, and Sárvár became property of the Nádasdy family. Tamás Nádasdy, who had received a humanistic education, established one of the cultural centres of the then decaying country in Sárvár. In 1534, he founded a school. In 1537, he set up a printing press, and put János Sylvester, a teacher from the school in charge of it. János Sylvester first translated, then, in 1541, printed the New Testament in Hungarian. The first book printed in Hungary in Hungarian was born. The scientists, artists, humanists, doctors and architects of the day were all welcomed guests in the court of Tamás Nádasdy. The bard Sebestyén Tinódi Lantos died in Sárvár in 1556, and rests in its grounds. In 1671 the country judge Ferenc Nádasdy was beheaded, and Sárvár passed into the hands of the Draskovich family. During the times of the Draskovich and the 18th century proprietors Sárvár fell into decline.
Development started after 1803, when the Este-Modena family gained ownership of the manor. In the days of the dualist monarchy Sárvár enjoyed its heyday. It joined the railroad network in 1871, and started receiving electric energy from the power plant in Ikervár in 1897. These two factors enabled the establishment of industry. The sugar factory was built in 1895, while the synthetic silk factory in 1904. These two factories, along with others gave work to 1232 people in 1910. Small industry and retail boomed. The population grew. The manor was turned into a model establishment by its new owner, Louis, Crown Prince of Bavaria. The educational establishments which were the precursors of the current-day school system were set up at this time. The present hospital was inaugurated in 1909.
After the First World War the town’s development was arrested, and following the closure of the synthetic silk factory (in 1927) a part of the population emigrated to France and Belgium because of the ensuing unemployment. After the Second World War, another factory, the poultry processing plant began its operations. From 1958 onwards further plants were set up in town. In 1961 oil prospectors found a treasure more valuable than gold in the bowels of the earth: healing waters. Medicinal and wellness tourism based on this natural resource plays an important role in the future development of Sárvár.
On 20 August 1968 Sárvár regained its title as town, which it lost in 1871. In the 1970’s the town gained new factories and schools. Following its restoration, the Nádasdy Castle became the town’s cultural centre in 1978. Since 1995 an industrial park has been created in Sárvár. Since 1 January 1996, 101 years after it joined the national telephone grid, a modern, digital telephone network has served the town’s inhabitants and visitors.
Since 1 December 2002, the new Medicinal and Wellness Spa (www. sarvarfurdo.hu) awaits those seeking rest and recuperation with its range of modern services.